Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today's session

This is part of what I took with me to my session today.

When it comes to the negative, I’m comfortable. It’s what I know – soccer, something I have actually excelled at, almost comes easy.

When it comes to the positive, I’m very uncomfortable. It’s what I don’t know - boxing. It’s something that I don’t understand because I don’t know the rules or any of the fundamentals.

I know that I’ve got to get in to the ring so I do it. I come out a bloody mess. I go back to training because I KNOW I have to do this to conquer the beast. I keep practicing the fundamentals, over and over, but still find myself in the corner getting beat to a pulp. It almost seems like there is more than one opponent in the ring with me. I’m totally outweighed.

I have to decide if I accept the beatings, retire, or find the beast as an almost comfortable sparing partner. I’m not willing to retire and the beatings have to stop one way or the other.

A part of me knows that eventually I’ll get a punch or two in on the beast but I am so tired. I need some success, even if it is only to hold my own for a full round before I get TKOd.

The “yeah but” generator is like the opponent. I understand that the positive affirmations would be me punching the opponent.




Why does it feel like I am totally resistant to accepting the positive? Like I am TKOing myself. It’s almost like I am putting myself in the ring knowing that I still don’t know the rules or any of the fundamentals.

Am I afraid I’ll never conquer the beast, failing, in the ring so I just go back to playing a game that I do know, success, soccer?

What is success and what is failure? Sometimes I do think I am afraid of success. I know I’m afraid of failure.



The greatest single cause of a poor self-image is the absence of unconditional love. Zig Ziglar

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." –– Franklin D. Roosevelt

I’ve got to accept that the positives are not lies, they are facts, truths. Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but



There ya have it. Thanks for taking the time to read it. Feedback is always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment