It’s New Year’s Eve. As usual we are just planning to go get something to eat and come back home to watch Dick Clark (or his fill in) do his thing. Most years we dress up a bit, some years more than others but more than our usual jeans, shirt, and sneaks. We’re both very casual. Dressing up for us usually means for me flats, a nicer shirt, and maybe a pair of slacks (or even more rare a skirt) and for him his “nicer” jeans and his “nicer/newer” sneaks. Anyway, my point is that unless other people are involved, we don’t usually put a whole lot of effort to look anything more than we usually do even for a holiday.
So, deciding that we weren’t interested in anything fancy or expensive we made reservations at one of our favorite places. He had to work that day and I was busy trying to do some chores, chat with some special friends online, and get ready. I decided what I wanted to wear, something a little nicer than the usual but it was too dang cold to even think about slacks or a skirt. I get in the shower. I do my usual routine. Hair washed, hair conditioning while bathing, and think:
“Damn, I really need to shave.”
“But, I’m not wearing a skirt.”
“But, it is a holiday and my leg hair bothers even me.”
“But, that takes time.”
“It wouldn’t be very nice or fair of me to do that to D either.”
“Crap. Damn it”
I’m shaving away, kind of enjoying the extra time in the hot shower because I’m cold to the freakin’ bone, la, la, la.
I rinse my hair, make sure I’ve hit each spot at least once with the soap, and I’m out. La, la, la.
I dry off, making sure as always to dry between the toes, behind the ears, pat my hair enough so it is not dripping, you know the drill. La, la, la
I reach for my robe as it is too cold, even in the house, to streak to my room to get dressed.
“Son of a bitch!”
“You’ve got to be kidding!”
“I even shaved my damn feet!” (Hey, no judging some of you already know what I’m talking about and most of you will know eventually.)
“All that time in the shower and I missed, missed BOTH!”
I forgot to shave my pits. I know TMI but it’s true and a necessary evil.
Ok, dilemma. D will be here any minute. We have specific reservations so time is not on my side. He will take minutes to shower and get ready. I have to do hair, makeup, and get dressed.
My options as I saw it at the time. Do I get back in, knowing that I won’t want to get out fast because it’s cold but I’ll have to anyway? Do I get back in knowing that I’ll get wet and have to dry all over again? Do I dry shave? Easy, no, can’t stand that. Do I let ‘em go hoping that he won’t notice if we have some “inspect the ceiling time”?
“C r a p!”
I got back in and was able to enjoy “ceiling inspection” without worry. He probably wouldn’t have noticed or cared enough at that point if he did, lol.
So, what would you have done?
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment