Tuesday, September 22, 2009

You are worried about lipstick!?

Ok, so I had this elderly lady as a neighbor a few years back. We had clicked since the day I moved in. She knew I was someone she could call if she needed anything. She calls me early one evening. She tells me that the neighbors’ garage door has been open all day, that there are no lights on in the house, and she is worried something is wrong. Um, ok. She wants me to come check on things. Well, um, ok. She meets me outside of her house - in her much too see through nightgown. I look around the outside of the front of the house, try to peek in the windows, and see nothing. Elderly neighbor still fretting, almost in a panic. It’s pretty much dark now. I tell her to calm down and that I’m going to get a flashlight. I’m only gone a few minutes. I’m a little worried now, too. My heart is beating a little faster. I head to the front of the house to look in the windows, a part of me wondering if I will see her dead on her floor or something else terrible. I shine the light in the windows, I see nothing. I walk back over to the elderly neighbor trying to decide what the next step might be. She is there, in her still too see through nightgown – made more obvious by each passing car highlighting her with headlights, but now has lipstick on. I ask her why she put lipstick on. She looks at me a second like I am asking a stupid question and says “well, in case we have to call the police”. I said something about her sending me over there to find a dead body and she’s worried about having lipstick on for the police and we both crack up. The neighbor arrives home in someone else’s car and explains that her garage door is broken.


No deep moral lesson there but it still cracks me up so I thought I’d share. Maybe you had to be there though??

No comments:

Post a Comment